Tuesday 28 February 2012

Low Visibility


What is supposedly the coldest time of the year is passing by nicely thank you very much. Sure, we're not in shorts and t-shirts but its been dry and relatively warm though the mist has been a bit of a pain. I haven't even had to light the fire in the evenings so thats a pretty good sign.
And the surf? Well, that ain't been too shabby either. There has been plenty on swell in the last week or so and the settled weather has brought light winds making two surfs a day possible without having to spend hours thawing out in between.

Fatherhood, contrary to expectations, has made me much keener for surfing. This is probably due to not being able to choose my moments for a surf as well as normal so I have ended up surfing Gwithian at unusual, for me, times and tides. I'm normally a 'high tide' or 'two hours before low' surfer but now that my surfing window is dictated solely by Finns (the little'uns) feeding patterns I am surfing waves and parts of the beach that I would never normally bother with. I used to be quite choosey about the quality of waves I would risk putting on a wet wetsuit in a cold gravel car park but now if there is any sort or rideable wave I'm in there.
Today, thankfully, the waves are absolutely smoking so I should get a few during Finns afternoon snooze.
Meanwhile Ian (aka Gab - surf school manager and top dog in my absence) has been getting a lick of paint round the surf school and getting everything ready for summers stock which should arrive any day now. It's looking ship shape and bristol fashion down there now and ready for the doors to be flung open on Saturday 31st of March. Can't wait.
And finally, we are running our first ASI Surf Coach course of the season on the 4th, 5th and 6th of March. If you're looking to fritter your life away at the beach then this has to be the best way to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment