Tuesday 26 April 2011

The Weather, the Surf & Other Stuff

I am gutted because April will never be the same again. It was that good.
The best run of swell, sandbanks and good weather and all at the beginning of the season when the place is still relatively quiet. So much so that I am now pretty much surfed out and when I check the waves they have to be pretty good for me to bother! A very rare feeling.

The surf went off the boil for a couple of days over the Easter weekend but the wind has swung offshore again and it looks like it will stay that way for the rest of the week at least. More sunshine is predicted but they reckon it may be a bit cooler. Thats just the way it goes with Easterly winds normally but if thats the sacrifice I have to make for good surf then I guess I'll have to take it.
Meanwhile Gabbi (surf school manager and my right hand man - its short for Ian Gabbitas) and I have to go up to Padstow in the week to do a course that will allow us to teach the new Academy of Surfing Instructors surf coach awards. They are a super high standard award so it will be a hard day I reckon but totally worth it. We have always prided ourselves on keeping the standards high with our surf coaches and the ASI is the gold standard of surf coaching in Australia - as good as it gets to my mind. The Australians certainly take surfing seriously and the surf coach awards are properly backed up by quality infrastructure and a decent support network. It can only benefit us to work more closely with them.
In other news my wife (and by association, me also) has re-homed a tortoise called Ged. It broke out of his pen in 2 minutes so we had to strengthen that straight away. Apparently he was too aggressive for its previous owner. I'm not too sure how this aggression manifests itself but I'll keep you posted. Ged already hates the cat, perhaps recognising that he is a fat, lazy, feckless (though loveable) gadabout and hisses at him whenever he come nearby. If nothing else at least he is a good judge of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment